This site no longer supports Internet Explorer 8 or other older browsers. Please use a modern browser.
We LOVE Beck. We love his records, old and new. We love when he does things like invite another guy we love on stage to help him knock out an encore of classics, and we love that his Song Reader sheet music has been recently brought to life. But, all this aside, what do we love best about Beck? His country-tinged and decidedly misanthropic Third Man Blue Series single "I Just Started Hating Some People Today" of course! The irony is not lost on us.
This single features a band of TMR All Stars: Jack White on drums, Dean Fertita wearing many hats, Fats Kaplin on fiddle and pedal steel, and Karen Elson doing some jazz vocals. Point is, if this is missing from your personal Blue Series collection, it's time to fix that, because....
...It's our Record of the Week! Get it.
THURSDAY, August 21st, 7pm in the Blue Room
Dir. Raya Martin and Mark Peranson
Dually a tribute to, and criticism of, Dennis Hopper's 1971 masterpiece THE LAST MOVIE, this co-directorial effort between the prolific Filipino filmmaker Raya Martin (HOW TO DISAPPEAR COMPLETELY) and Cinema Scope Magazine founding editor Mark Peranson is, like its point of inspiration, a frenzied experiment in narrative and cultural discourse. Alex Ross Perry (director of 2011 hit THE COLOR WHEEL) stars as an egomaniacal American director traveling to Mexico's Yucatán Peninsula in hopes of exposing the world's last remaining celluloid film stock at the site of the new Mayan age of enlightenment. But like Hopper before him, the implications of his journey are far greater than he imagined.
There will be a Q&A via Skype with co-director Raya Martin following the screening. For more information, visit the ticket page.
Jack is honored to announce that he will be throwing out the ceremonial first pitch at the Detroit Tigers game on Tuesday night, July 29th. Additionally, the Third Man Rolling Record Store will be parked at Columbia Plaza at Comerica Park from 4pm - 7pm. We want to celebrate here in Nashville too, so we're hereby calling the 29th "TIGER TUESDAY!" Come into the shop wearing your Detroit Tigers gear and get 15% off your purchase. Some exclusions apply. You might also use this as an opportunity to come take a look at (and be the first to sport) our new Third Man Records baseball cap!
At long last Third Man Records and Third Man Books are very proud to present our first commercially available book, Language Lessons: Volume I. Though the term book, in this case, may actually be a bit limiting considering what this whole package actually contains… Want to hear more? Read on.
Language Lessons is a 321 page hardbound book, co-edited by Chet Weise and Third Man’s own Ben Swank, full of contemporary poetry and prose including over 20 award winning and / or nominated contemporary poets and authors such as Dale Ray Phillips, a Pulitzer Prize nominee in fiction, C.D. Wright, a National Book Award finalist and National Book Critics Circle winner in poetry, and Adrian Matejka, a National Book Award and Pulitzer Prize finalist in poetry. Language Lessons is two vinyl LPs of jazz, psychdelic-punk, poetry, blues and pop from artists such as William Tyler, Destruction Unit, Ken Vandermark, Sampson Starkweather and more. Language Lessons is 5 pieces of frameable broadsides of poems by C.D. Wright, Frank Stanford, Brian Barker, Jake Adam York and Chet Weise with original art from former Big Boys guitartist Tim Kerr, one-time Hate illustrator Jim Blanchard, intertwangle-ist folk artist Butch Anthony and more. That’s a lot of bang for your buck… and it all comes housed in a hard-case clothbound sleeve. Has any other record label ever created such a thing? Are we mad?!
We are not mad. As previously mentioned, LL:VI will be Third Man Books' first commercially available tome and signifies a strong intent for Third Man entering the universe of publishing. Third Man Books, like Language Lessons, will be fearless, imaginative, and eclectic. We hope to be a welcome addition to what is already a very compelling and thrilling independent American literary landscape.
Language Lessons: Volume I is now available for pre-sale direct from the Third Man Store and will be available in discerning book and record stores the world over from August 5th.
LANGUAGE LESSONS: VOLUME I
* The Language Lessons: Volume I box set includes a hardbound book of contemporary poetry and prose, two vinyl LPs of jazz, psychedelic-punk, poetry, blues and pop, and 5 pieces of hangable art all housed in a hard-case clothbound sleeve.
* In 321 pages, the book includes over 20 award winning and / or nominated contemporary poets and authors such as Dale Ray Phillips, a Pulitzer Prize nominee in fiction, C.D. Wright, a National Book Award finalist in poetry, andAdrian Matejka, a National Book Award and Pulitzer Prize finalist in poetry. And, almost as interestingly, many in the book will be published for the first time in their lives.
* To hang on the wall, five frameable broadsides of poems by C.D. Wright, Frank Stanford, Brian Barker, Jake Adam York and Chet Weise, with original art by former Big Boys guitarist Tim Kerr, one-time Hate illustratorJim Blanchard, intertwangle-ist folk artist Butch Anthony, and more.
* Features unpublished work by Frank Stanford, Jake Adam York, C.D. Wright, Steve Stern, Sampson Starkweather, Joshua Marie Wilkinson, bemsilr brigham, TJ Jarrett, Janaka Stucky, Sommer Browning, Gaylord Brewer, Dan Boehl, Ben Mirov, Daniel Lucca Pujol, William Miller and Chet Weise.
* Features unheard music by William Tyler, Destruction Unit, Paul “Wine” Jones, and Ken Vandermark.
* Nonfiction from punk rock progenitors Richard Hell and Tav Falco.
* The occupations of the anthology’s contributors range from teachers, morticians, librarians, software developers, actors, and taco chefs to bartenders, farmers, musicians, and parents. Although from all over America (and beyond), almost 90% of the contributors read in Nashville at a DIY series called Poetry Sucks.
Order your copy HERE.
Do you still use your trusty flip phone for all of your important calls and T9 text messages? If so, bring it in into the shop this Friday, July 18th for 15% off your entire purchase! Some exclusions apply. Get your flip on.